In Memory of
7th, Australian Light Horse
who died on
Thursday, 15th November 1917.
Additional Information: Son of James and Martha Ann Marshall, of Guyra. New South Wales.
Cemetery: GAZA WAR CEMETERY
Grave Reference/ Panel Number: XXVI. B. 2.
Location: From Israel stop at the Erez Crossing point and enter the VIP cabin for a pass to enter Gaza. Walk through "no man's land" to the taxis on the other side. The cemetery is left of the main road through Gaza. Just after entering Gaza city proper, turn left after approximately 300 metres. Take highway 4 until Sha'arei Aza junction and turn right, then right again once in Gaza proper. The cemetery is to be found on the right after approximately 3 kilometres.
Historical Information: Gaza was bombarded by French warships in April 1915. At the end of March 1917, it was attacked and surrounded (in the First Battle of Gaza) by the Egyptian Expeditionary Force, but the attack was broken off when Turkish reinforcements appeared. The Second Battle of Gaza, on the 17th-19th April, left the Turks in possession and the Third Battle of Gaza, begun on the 27th October, ended with the capture of the ruined and deserted city on the 7th November. Later in the month British and Indian Casualty Clearing Stations came up, and General and Stationary Hospitals in 1918. Approximately two thirds of the graves in this cemetery were brought in after the Armistice from the battlefields. The remainder were made by medical units after the Third Battle of Gaza, or, in some cases, represent burials from the battlefields by the troops who captured the city. There are now nearly 3,000 1914-18, war casualties commemorated in this site. Of these, nearly 800 are unidentified and a special memorial is erected to one soldier from the United Kingdom believed to be buried among them. In 107 instances graves identified collectively but not individually are marked by headstones superscribed: "Buried near this spot". Of the British Soldiers, the great majority belonged to the 52nd (Lowland), the 53rd (Welsh), the 54th (East Anglian) and the 74th (Yeomanry) Divisions. The cemetry covers an area of 3.44 hectares and is enclosed by a wall. A stone tablet outside the entrance commemorates the share of the 54th Division in the Battles of Gaza. During the 1939-1945 War Gaza was an Australian hospital base, and the A.I.F. Headquarters were posted there. Among the military hospitals in Gaza were 2/1st Australian General Hospital, 2/6th Australian General Hospital, 8th Australian Special Hospital, and from July 1943 until May 1945, 91 British General Hospital. There was a Royal Air Force Aerodrome at Gaza, which from 1941 onwards was considerably developed.